KAFM Community Radio
Grand Valley Public Radio Company, Inc.
1310 Ute Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81501
Grand Valley Public Radio Company, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
PROGRAM DIRECTORESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Program Director is responsible for all on-air operations and programs. The PD will work side by side with the Production and Music Director to ensure all on-air programming is scheduled, efficient and is consistent and reflective of KAFM’s mission.
Duties include the recruitment, training, evaluation, and nurturing of on-air volunteers for music and talk programs. The PD is part of KAFM`s management team and reports to the Executive Director.
- Oversees the Programming Department including staff, contractors, and volunteers.
- Recruits, trains, mentors, and monitors on-air volunteers.
- Produces, schedules and hosts the Community Affairs Hour; Mon-Thur 12PM-1PM
- Assists Executive Director with maintaining the Public File.
- Ensures programmers know and adhere to FCC and Station policies.
- Manages the Community Advisory Board by recruitment of members, building agendas, facilitating meetings, and sharing minutes with the Executive Director and Board President.
- Produces periodic mass communications with on-air staff, to include news about policies, equipment, and programming skills.
- Maintains the on-air schedule with regular, substitute, and fill-in volunteers.
- Maintains up to date Daily Programs Log in the Control Room and on the website.
- Monitors Discrepancy Log and resolves issues or makes appropriate staff member aware of issues that fall in their jurisdiction.
- Assists staff with programming of automated break system.
- Responds to listener feedback and questions in a timely manner.
- Responds to emergency pages from volunteers and resolves problem or enlists assistance.
- Works with staff in advance of Pledge Drives to schedule on-air teams and train new volunteers in on-air fundraising.
- Assesses the station`s equipment needs and reports to Executive Director when maintenance or purchases are required.
- Keeps the Control Room clean.
- Develops and implements strategies and programming changes in collaboration with staff.
- Collects, screens, writes scripts, and produces Public Service Announcements.
- Maintains a database of all on-air volunteers.
- Administers the station’s Spinitron account, including volunteers` accounts, program schedule, and reviewing playlists.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIESAssist with on-air and off-air fundraising, special events, community outreach activities and meetings. Works as applicable with all music, reception and other volunteers to identify and supervise tasks and ensure smooth operations of Programming Department. Responds timely to Programmers in emergencies. Additional duties as assigned.
- Must be able to train, lead, nurture and motivate volunteers to produce quality on air programming for public broadcasting. Must be committed to the ideals of community-based public access radio and be able to look at and actively design and enthusiastically participate in best practices for sustainable station policies and growth.
- One plus years of working with volunteers and/or non-profit preferred.
- One plus years working in or with broadcast media and preferred.
- Must have some level of technical experience and/or expertise in the areas of broadcast equipment, IT hardware and software and the ability to identify problems and opportunities for systems and training to enhance efficiency. Ability to project a professional image in person via telephone and in writing; work independently in the absence of supervision; understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Extensive knowledge of FCC broadcast rules and regulations; knowledge of federal, state and local contesting rules and regulations
- Extensive knowledge of Spinitron data analysis; working knowledge of BSI Automation, or other automation systems, Adobe Audition and has excellent Production skills
- Knowledge and appreciation of diverse music genres, excellent on-air performance, familiarity with radio programming
- Excellent team leadership and delegation skills, including motivation of staff; can set goals & expectations, provide honest feedback and manage performance
- Strong interpersonal skills
- High degree of planning and organizing skills; can multi-task and meet specific deadlines
- Flexible, creative, and innovative in using technology to deepen listener relationships
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with others in the team
- Superior oral and written communication skills; excellent grammar; can adjust communications style based on audience needs
- Entrepreneurial and assertive in meeting goals
- Ability to serve your team, on-air volunteers and co-workers calmly
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Has a Can-Do attitude
- Prior experience directing and managing a team
- Experience in Radio; Public Broadcasting preferred
- Prior experience as a broadcaster, either in news, sports, or as a DJ preferred
- Prior experience as a Program Director or Assistant Program Director preferred
EDUCATIONMinimum 2-year college degree preferred
WORKING CONDITIONSWork schedule to be determined based on optimal coverage of programming hours in conjunction with Music and Production Director. Monday through Friday during typical business hours. Must be able to work evenings and weekends when needed.
Reports to: Executive Director
Responsible to: Executive Director
Personnel supervised: Station volunteers and contract producers
Interrelationships: Maintain good relationships with all Paid Staff, Underwriters, Volunteers, Members, Listeners and community at large.
LOCATION 1310 Ute Avenue, Grand Junction, CO 81501
POSITION TYPE | Regular Full Time
TO APPLY FOR THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR POSITION
Send cover letter, resume and aircheck or demo to Employment@KAFMradio.org
NO PHONE CALLS