October 14, 2010
Present: Bruce Bonar, Tina Harbin, Claudia Ragar, Gretchen Reist-Henderson, Craig Roberts, Cliff Sprinkle, Jen Taylor, Steve Thompson, Judy Craddock, Marc Foster, Tedi Gillespie, Ryan Stringfellow, Jon Rizzo, Dave Grossman, Julia Hall, Peter Trosclair Minutes by: Bruce Bonar
1. The meeting was called to order at 5:52 PM.
2. Bruce read Global Ends Policy #2.
3. Minutes of the September 9, 2010 meeting were approved.
4. The Executive Hiring Committee delivered its report;
- Applicants for the ED position were solicited by advertising.
- Applications from 16 applicants were accepted, split between local and out-of-state. Two applications received after the published deadline were not accepted.
- The committee selected 5 applicants for interviews. Three dropped out and the committee interviewed two. The committee selected one candidate for the final interview, so the full Board interviewed that candidate.
- Marc Foster removed himself from the Committee when he submitted his application, and did not take part in the interview process or the Board’s selection.
- On October 8, the Board passed a motion to offer the position to Marc Foster, contingent on his resignation from the Board, to commence October 13. The Board accepted his letter of resignation and his acceptance of the position offer.
5. The Executive Monitoring Committee delivered its report:
- The ED met with the Committee September 14 to review documents.
- The Committee issued its report October 6, with recommendations.
6. Bruce gave a report on the review of Board Documents. The By-laws and Global Ends Policy have been updated with the revisions approved by the Board on September 9.
7. Board vacancies:
A) Marc’s resignation leaves an open seat on the Board. There was a discussion regarding the process to fill the vacancy. It was decided to announce the vacancy, receive letters of interest with a due date of November 9. We will discuss the results November 11.
B) Claudia Ragar resigned the office of Vice-President Thursday, October 7. No members expressed an interest in the position, which remains vacant at this time.
8. Appreciation items: 3 postcards were circulated for Board signatures.
9. Other Business: Members of the public present were recognized and allowed to address the Board.
- Jon Rizzo read a letter objecting to the selection of Marc Foster as ED.
- Dave Grossman expressed concern about the selection process and the possibility of a conflict of interest.
- Peter Trosclair stated he was glad to see Policy Governance alive and well, and commended the Board on the selection of Marc Foster as ED.
- Julia Hall congratulated the Board on doing a good job hiring Marc.
Members of the Board responded to the public comments:
- Craig and Jen expressed confidence in the decision to hire Marc.
- Gretchen stated the Search Committee had been open-minded, and had confidence in the process.
- Claudia stated the Search Committee had sought and received feedback, including from the staff.
- Cliff thanked Dave and Jon for attending.
Dave Grossman then asked how the changes affect the Watts Up campaign, expressing concern about changes to the budgeted administration overhead. The ED and Ryan addressed his comments.
10. The meeting adjourned at 7:25.