January 12, 2012
Present: Barry Barak, Bruce Bonar, Michael Piontkowski, Claudia Ragar, Jason Smith, Cliff Sprinkle, Jen Taylor, Tedi Gillespie Minutes by: Bruce Bonar
1. The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM.
2. Jason read Global Ends Policy # 2 (Volunteers).
3. Minutes of the November 30, 2011, BOD meeting were approved.
4. There was a review and discussion of last May’s 2011 Board Retreat.
5. There was a discussion of capital improvements using Watts Up funds.
- An ad-hoc committee (Jason, Peter, Robert, Coach, and Barry) will recommend capital improvements.
- An announcement will be made to the public: “At this point, KAFM will focus our efforts and resources on upgrading the control room equipment and fixtures within the existing control room and production room. The Board of Directors has formed an ad-hoc committee to manage the process. Programmer input is welcome and encouraged. E-mail suggestions to KAFMEng@gmail.com. Stay tuned for exciting updates!”
- A motion was passed: “The Interim Executive Director is authorized to spend capital funds on hardware-related items that are moveable. Expenditures greater than $500 on non-moveable infrastructure improvements require Board approval”.
6. Committee updates:
a. The Finance Committee report included a discussion of 2011 financials and 2012 projections.
b. There was an update on the art auction.
c. Jason gave the CAB update. The CAB is discussing a listener survey from a listener viewpoint.
d. The Hiring Committee will meet following the next Executive Monitoring Committee meeting. The Hiring Committee will prepare a draft job description and job announcement for approval by the BOD at the February BOD meeting.
e. An ad-hoc IT committee was discussed, with the control room upgrade committee. Jason will serve on the IT committee.
7. We have no 2012 Budget to Actual figures yet.
8. Other business:
-Potential new Board candidates were discussed.
-The possibility of an Americorps intern was discussed.
-It was suggested a charette be held to examine the future of the station’s location, in preparation for the spring Board Retreat.
-Claudia resigned the office of Board President for personal reasons, effective immediately.
She will remain a member of the Board. Vice-President Barry will become acting President until the next Board meeting.
9. The meeting was adjourned at 8:52PM.