February 9, 2012
Present: Barry Barak, Bruce Bonar, Michael Piontkowski, Claudia Ragar, Jason Smith, Cliff Sprinkle, Jen Taylor, Tedi Gillespie, Jon Brewer, Joanie Leinbach Minutes by: Bruce Bonar
1. Following ED and Staff reports, the meeting was called to order at 6:34 pm.
2. Barry Barak was elected President for the remainder of this term. Jason Smith was elected Vice-President for the remainder of this term.
3. Bruce read Global Ends Policy #5.
4. Board minutes for the January 12, 2012, meeting were approved.
5. Committee updates:
a. Executive Monitoring (Cliff): This Executive Monitoring session was a pleasant experience. It was suggested we change the required annual Transmitter Site Lease to annual Proof of Transmitter Lease payment. Regarding checking accounts, it was recommended approving invoices, cutting checks, signing checks and reconciling account statements not be done by the same persons.
b. Hiring (Michael): The committee will have drafts of the job announcement, application, job description and timeline prepared next week, and will send them to the Board for review comments.
c. Real Estate (Barry): There was a discussion of possible funding sources for refinancing options.
d. Capital Improvements (Jason): The committee met Thursday, developing a strategy to identify equipment needs, costs, etc. A new mic stand and wind guards have been ordered, to be installed soon.
e. Finance (Cliff): Tedi has a draft 2012 budget! We will have a budget discussion at the March BOD meeting.
f. CAB (Jason): Not much new.
6. Board vacancies and Recruitment: Three Board seats expire in April (two Board-selected, one member-elected). Two existing vacancies both expire in 2013. Possible candidates were discussed.
7. Board Retreat: The Board Retreat discussion is postponed to a future date.
8. Annual Membership Meeting:
- The annual membership meeting will be held April 26 at 7:00 PM.
- There will be a regular BOD meeting April 26 at 6:00 PM to choose the two Board-selected members.
- There will be a special Board meeting following the Annual Membership meeting to elect new Board officers.
- Announcements for the Annual Membership meeting will be run March 1 in the Daily Sentinel, by e-mail listserve, and posted on the station website.
- Notice soliciting Board candidates will be read on-air beginning February 13. Claudia will prepare the on-air read. All letters of interest are due March 2.
9. The Board met in executive session to discuss matters.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 9:13 PM.