April 26, 2012
Members Present: Joanie, Matt, Mickey Krakowski, Lance, Jeff, Deb, Paul, Ron, Tedi Gillespie, Claudia McClintock, Bruce Bonar, Jen Rieke-Taylor, Michael Piontkowski, Cliff Sprinkle, Barry Barak, Boyd Franklin, and Jason Smith. Minutes by: Jason Smith
1. Meeting called to order by GVPRC Board President Barry Barak at 7:10 pm.
2. Barry Barak noted that the Proof of Notice of the Annual Membership meeting had been delivered by broadcasting on air as wells as having been published in a local print publication.
3. Annual Reports of Officers:
A) Cliff Sprinkle, Chairman of the Executive Director (ED) Monitoring Committee, described the ED monitoring committee . Mr. Sprinkle detailed the previous finding of the committee specifically in regard to the ask of a 2011 budget.
B) Michael Piontkowski, Chairman of the ED Search Committee, described the process of selecting the new KAFM ED, Tedi Gillespie. The committee was made up of Mr. Piontkowski, Cliff Sprinkle and Jason Smith. Mr. Piontkowski discussed that there were 8 candidates for the position and that each member of the search committee evaluated the applicants individually prior to selection of 4 candidates to further review. The evaluation process consisted of ranking each individual based on their experience with the items listed in the ED job description. One individual withdrew for personal reasons and the remaining 3 were interviewed. Mr. Piontkowski then welcomed Mrs. Tedi Gillespie as the new ED for KAFM.
C) Claudia McClintock, Chairwoman of the the Information Technology (IT) subcommittee, discussed the station's future activities with technology. Ms. McClintock discussed the opportunity we currently have with the installation of a new server rack which would benefit the longevity of the station's storage and server systems.
D) Barry Barak, Chairman of the Real Estate Subcommittee, discussed the three properties that make up the KAFM real estate holdings and their current status.
E) Cliff Sprinkle, Chairman of the Finance Subcommittee, mentioned that Grand Valley Public Radio currently has over $857,000 in assets and about $500,000 in debts. He said that we are almost a one million dollar enterprise which is something to be proud of.
F) Barry Barak, Chairman of the Watts Up! Capitol campaign gave a brief recap of the goals of the campaign and then discussed that the campaign raised $123,000 dollars. Mr. Barak detailed the expenses for the purchase of the new transmitter, antenna, EMS system, engineering and installation costs. He then informed the attendees that there is approximately $45,000 remaining for the upgrade of the broadcast hardware in the studios of KAFM. Matt asked about the old equipment and suggested that it might possibly be sold.
G) Bruce Bonar, Secretary of the Board of Directors, gave the Board Secretary's report which detailed the meetings that the board held in 2011.
H) Barry Barry gave the Board Presidents report.
4. Barry Barak then spoke to the attendees about the vacant member elected Board of Directors seat. The members that would vote for the applicants had to be current and status would be checked by Boyd Franklin prior to acceptance of the votes. At that time he gave the two applicants the opportunity to address the members present. First to speak was Joanie Leinbach and second was Mikey Krakowski. Mr. Barak asked if there were any questions for the two applicants fr the members and then directed the gathered members to take a ballot and choose the member-elected board member. After votes were tallied Mr. Barak welcomed Mickey Krakowski to the GVPRC board of directors.
5. Barry Barak asked if there was any old business that needed to be attended to and none was mentioned.
6. Barry Barak asked if there was any new business to attend to and when none was brought up he introduced that recognition needed to be made to two outgoing board of directors for their long service to the station. Special thank yous were awarded to Bruce Bonar and Jen Reicke-Taylor for their years of service to the station.
7. The Annual Membership Meeting of Grand Valley Public Radio Company was adjorned at 8:50 pm.