November 10, 2011
Present: Barry Barak, Bruce Bonar, Michael Piontkowski, Claudia Ragar, Jason Smith,Cliff Sprinkle, Jen Taylor Minutes by: Bruce Bonar
1. The meeting was called to order at 5:41 pm.
2. The Policy Governance exercise was “What does an Executive Limitations Policy look like?”
3. Minutes from the October 13, 2011, BOD meeting were approved.
4. Committee updates:
-Barry reports installation of the new antenna is scheduled for Tuesday, November 15 (weather permitting). The signal should be off-air all day, possibly extending into Wednesday if difficulties occur. Programming will be streaming during the installation. Michael reported that the streaming signal has been inconsistently available lately.
- Appreciation ideas were discussed.
- In lieu of the regular BOD meeting in December, the Board will host a year-end open house/ 300 watt celebration. The Party Animals will be asked to organize the event. The Board will buy beer. A separate appreciation event for major donors will be held at a future date, details yet to be determined.
- Jason reported there will be 4 new community affairs programs (bicycle show, movie, books, service clubs). Daytime programmers are being asked to play 60% music of their chosen genre and 40% other music, or shift to a non-primetime slot. Executive Monitoring Committee:-Cliff presented the 3rd Quarter 2011 EMC Report. Jason has prepared a new EMC reports schedule document.
5. There was no Budget to Actual update.
6. Executive Director Performance Evaluation: Discussion of the ED’s Performance Evaluation continued.
-The Board approved the following motion:
1. Documents provided to the Board of Directors by the Executive Director on September 8, 2011, indicate that the ED transferred $1131.70 from the Landcruiser Raffle Account to the Operations Account on June 30, 2011, “to cover payroll”. The Board observes this action was a violation of Executive Limitations Policies Section 4 d), which states: “[KAFM’s Executive Director shall not:] d) Co-mingle or shift funds between discrete programs.” The Landcruiser Raffle was a part of the Watts Up capital campaign, a program discretely separate from Operations.
2. The Executive Director informed the Board of Directors by e-mail on September 9, 2011, of his intent to withdraw $8600 from the Alpine Bank Line of Credit, “for payroll and contract labor ($7000.00) and accounts payable ($1600.00).” The Board observes that this “notification” did not comply with Executive Limitations Policies Section 4 b), which states: “[KAFM’s Executive Director shall not] Incur any single debt over $5000 without clear Board direction...” The Board gave no such direction.
7. The meeting adjourned at 8 pm.