July 14, 2011
Present: Barry Barak, Bruce Bonar, Claudia Ragar, Cliff Sprinkle, Jen Taylor, Marc Foster, John Anglim, Nora Wedemeyer Not Present: Michael Piontkowski, Jason Smith Minutes by: Bruce Bonar
1. Following a staff report by the ED, the meeting was called to order at 5:51 PM.
2. Barry read Global Ends Policy #3.
3. The June meeting minutes were approved.
4. Nora Wedemeyer presented an overview of Building Code requirements and considerations for station renovations.
5. The Policy Governance exercise continued the discussion of “owners”. “An owner is someone who has contributed time, money or services to KAFM.”
6. Marc presented a “New Business Plan”. It designates “prime broadcasting hours” as 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Friday & Saturday evenings (6:00 PM to midnight). Underwriting fees have been increased during these hours. Other features of the new business plan:
1. A new “programming formula” will apply during the prime time hours (new music and variety). Each hour will have:
• 3 new song plays
• 3 programmer-preferred genre plays (Celtic, Blues, Folk, etc.)
• “The rest will be a mix of genres with excellent segues from song to song.”
2. A new “Sustainer’s Club” (a monthly giving plan that will automatically withdraw from donors’ accounts).
Change from two fund drives per year to a one week “Membership Drive” each year, focusing on each member bringing in one new member.
3. The ED and staff “believe our existing building and property is an overkill for our core mission – radio.” The ED believes a Main Street location “will provide greater organic marketing opportunities”, and provided some information on several Main Street properties currently available.
7. Committee updates:
a. CAB – Jason attended the last CAB meeting. It was suggested Jason be appointed to be the BOD liaison to the CAB. It was also pointed out it would be unfair to appoint Jason to be the liaison since he was not present at this meeting.
b. Cliff presented the Executive Monitoring Committee report. The ED’s report was tabled until the next meeting.
c. Barry gave the WattsUp update. A grant from the Colorado Trust is expected. As of July 12, about 320 raffle tickets had been sold.
d. Real Estate: The ED gave an update on the appraisal process. Numbers are in on the two rental properties, but not on the station building yet.
e. The Board Document Review report was tabled until the next meeting.
8. The ED provided some information on grants and underwriting.
9. Other Business:
- The Board will be at the Farmers’ Market August 4.
- Jen suggested a possible recruit to fill a vacant Board seat.
- Barry expressed a desire to fill the vacant Board seats.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 8:19 PM.