February 9, 2011
Present: Bruce Bonar, Claudia Ragar, Gretchen Reist Henderson, Cliff Sprinkle, Jen Taylor, Marc Foster, John Anglim, Jason Smith Minutes by: Bruce Bonar
1. Following staff reports by Marc Foster, the meeting was called to order at 6:03 PM.
2. Claudia read global Ends Policy #4.
3. A Policy Governance role-playing exercise was conducted. The scenario: The CEO lobbies individual Board members about changing Global Ends Policies. A Policy Governance discussion followed.
4. Minutes for the November 11, 2010, and January 27, 2011, meetings were approved.
5. Appreciation items: John Hopkins upped his donation to Watts UP, and the Colorado Trust doubled his donation.
6. a. John Anglim was appointed to fill the vacancy in the Board-selected seat expiring in 2011.
b. Current vacant seats were discussed. There are now two vacancies for seats expiring in 2013 (one Board-selected, one member-elected). There is now one vacancy for the Board-selected seat expiring in 2012. There will be three seats up for election in April, 2011 (two Board-selected, one member-elected). Claudia (Board-selected) expressed an interest in another term. John and Gretchen said they would step down. We will need to recruit at least two additional candidates for the April elections. Possible candidates were discussed. Bruce will meet with Jason Smith, John will contact Nora Weidemeyer to discuss Policy Governance and Board vacancies.
7. The annual Membership meeting will be held Thursday, April 28, 2011. Letters of interest from potential candidates for election will be due no later than March 15, 2011 (45 days before the election).
8. The Documents Review Committee delivered an update. Documents currently on BackPackit are not complete or current. The committee (Bruce and Claudia) proposed a five-step plan:
1) Reconstruct the existing documents to make sure they contain the most recent Board-approved revisions. The reconstruction will focus on: Global Ends Policies, Mission Statement, Bylaws, Governance Process Policies.
2) Separate the current Governance Process Policies document into three separate documents: Process Policies, Executive Limitations, and Board-Executive Limitations.
3) Revise the formatting (so the numbering is consistent), and include a revision date on all documents.
4) Revise documents for consistency and comprehension. For example, documents refer to an Executive Director in some places, Station Manager in others.
5) Identify policy issues and draft recommended changes. It was decided these policy issues will be discussed at a special document review meeting during the summer.
Marc informed the Board that BackPackit was a subscription service costing $69.00 per month, and asked if we should continue using it. It was agreed we should cancel the subscription. We will look at other possible document storage options.
9. After discussion, it was agreed the Board should not receive a budget presentation for monthly review. It was expressed that we would like a heads-up if we have an impending financial crisis.
10. A general real estate discussion was tabled.
11. No Other Business topics were presented for discussion.
12. The meeting was adjourned at 7:54 PM.