November 12, 2009
Present: Bruce Bonar, Gretchen Reist-Henderson, Sarah Lee Marshall, Claudia Ragar, Craig Roberts, Angie Salazar, Jen Taylor, Mara Ferris, Ryan Stringfellow Not present: John Anglim Minutes by: Bruce Bonar
1. The meeting was called to order at 5:31PM.
2. Craig read Global Ends Policy #1.
3. Minutes of the September 9, 2009 meeting were approved.
4. Steve Thompson expressed his interest in serving on the Board. Following his presentation and discussion, the Board appointed Steve to fill the vacant Board position by a unanimous vote. At 5:57 pm, a motion was passed to have him begin his term immediately.
5. a) We had a recap discussion of the “Healthy Community Challenge” from the last fund drive. The show beat its goal and listener comments were positive.
b) Next was a recap discussion of the Human Services Council meeting at the Radio Room. It went very well, with good feedback from the members.
c) Healthy Community Radio Show review:
-The last program was with Jen discussing Nature Deficit Disorder.
-The next program will be the Western Colorado Center for the Arts.
-Steve was recruited as backup broadcast engineer to run the board.
-A formatted list of questions will be drafted and made available.
d) Board members are asked to sit in on a staff meeting in January (January 20?) to discuss Healthy Community.
6 a) New Board folders and the Policy Governance CD were issued, with the Policy Governance Powerpoint handout.
b) Having a Policy Governance chat session was discussed, possibly as a Life-long Learning event.
c) Changes to the Ends Policies language were approved (and requests that the revised copy be dated so we know which one is which):
-#1 change “programming” to “programs”
-#2 change “number of” to “access by”, “station” to “organization”
-#3 change text to “Grand Valley Public Radio will maintain and develop its assets in a manner that promotes people with diverse backgrounds meeting, exchanging ideas and exploring their creativity.”
#4 change “consists” to “consist”
#5 renumber the order of the Ends Policies to make the old #5 the new #2, renumbering #2 through #4 accordingly.
Jen will revise the Ends document.
d) Potential candidates for prospective Board election were discussed, the Process Flow was discussed.
e) Ryan presented the 3rd quarter P&L, Mara discussed underwriting status. Grant possibilities were also discussed.
f) Sarah presented the Executive Monitoring Committee report. The reports schedule needs to be revised. (Sarah will do it).
7. Ryan delivered the Executive Limitations report. The Executive Limitations are adequate.
8. The Board conducted the Executive Director’s annual review in executive session. We are pleased to report Ryan accepts our invitation to continue as ED.
- A motion to explore a 360° evaluation for 2010 for the ED review was passed.
9. CAB Committee: Ryan presented information from the CAB webinar.
- At the January BOD meeting we will formulate an outline for proceeding with the CAB.
10. There was a discussion about what should be included on the Board’s page on the website. It was decided the Board Secretary will send Arn a copy of the approved minutes to post on the website.
11. There will be a holiday open house on December 10, 4 to 8 PM, no Board meeting.
12. We went over the Board Member Agreement regarding attendance.
13. Thank you cards were signed and an underwriter call list was circulated.
14. No “Other Business” items were discussed.
15. The meeting adjourned at 9:45PM.