March 11, 2010
Present: John Anglim, Bruce Bonar, Gretchen Reist-Henderson, Claudia Ragar, Sarah Lee Marshall, Craig Roberts, Angie Salazar, Jen Taylor, Steve Thompson, Ryan Stringfellow, Mara Ferris Not Present: Jen Taylor Guests: Travis Reed, Marc Foster Minutes by: Claudia Ragar
ED & Staff Reports were shared by Ryan and Mara, covering the topics of:
Kruger roof repair, update on 101.9/50,000 watt applicants, upcoming signal increase meetings, fundraising.
1. The meeting was called to order by Craig Roberts at 5:48 pm. Guests Marc Foster and Travis Reed were introduced.
2. Sarah read Global Ends Policy (#1).
3. Approval of Minutes:
Prior to the March meeting, the minutes of the February 11, 2010 Board meeting were ratified by email.
An error in the minutes was detected following the ratification. Item 5.f, which describes the Annual Membership meeting, needs to be corrected to reflect the bylaws which require the regular Board meeting be held prior to the Annual Membership meeting. The Board approves the motion to correct the February 11, 2010 minutes as described. A corrected copy will be brought to the next regular Board meeting, to be signed by all Board members and then filed as the official record.
4. Healthy Community Radio Show:
- The last HC show with Dr. Lepisto was a success.
- The next scheduled HC show will feature Gateway Outdoor Education School.
- A brief discussion was held on recording HC shows for web broadcast. Robert and/or Jeff will help Steve Thompson record the HC show coming up next week.
- Craig provided an update on the last Human Services Council meeting. Many organizations are attempting to do more with less, in the face of increased need for services. Announced upcoming Healthy Community fund drive show (Thursday, March 25th; 12 – 1 pm) and encouraged non-profits to participate. Board members are asked to invite NPOs to send a representative down to the station during the HC fund drive show to talk-up their organizations and encourage pledges. Claudia and John will organize NPO reps.
- Gretchen will be going to Family Health West next week and will provide a HC report back to the Board at the April meeting.
- Steve provided a summary of the development of the KAFM Community Advisory Board. A handout on CAB was made available to the Board.
- The next CAB meeting is scheduled for May 6, 2010 and will continue to meet on the first Thursday, every other month.
- According to CPB rules, Board members cannot be members of CAB.
- Tedi is the staff member who facilitates CAB meetings.
- No limit to the number of CAB members.
- CAB plans to set up leadership roles. A cross-section of the community has been met.
6. Policy Governance:
a. John and Claudia summarized the Policy Governance presentation made to staff. It was well received.
b. An ad-hoc committee of three Board members will be formed to draft the agenda for the Policy Governance presentation to the community. Ad-hoc members include John, Claudia, Jen and Craig. It was suggested that Board members from other PG Boards be asked to participate. It was suggested that the Real Estate Board is a PG Board.
c. Prospective Candidates:
- Per the bylaws, the deadline to submit letters of intent to run for the Board should have been March 8, 2010. Due to an error, this deadline was not properly publicized. The Board approved a motion to rectify this mistake by extending the deadline to submit a letter of intent to run for the Board to March 15, 2010 (1st by Claudia, 2nd by John). Letters of intent should be delivered or emailed to Jen.
- Marc Foster expressed his possible interest in running for the Board.
- Board members agreed to contact specific individuals concerning the new deadline for letters of intent.
Email Jen after contacting individuals. Prospects should be reminded of short speech they will be asked to present during the Annual Membership Meeting.
7. Appreciation Items:
- A list of eight individuals or couples who pre-pledged $250 or greater was distributed for Board members to make thank-you calls.
- All Board members were encouraged to call Mike Kruger to thank him for fixing the roof!
8. No “Other Business Items” were discussed.
9. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 22, 2010, to be immediately followed by the Annual Membership Meeting. The meeting was adjourned at 7:15 pm.