February 14, 2008
Present: Sarah Lee, Dianne Dinnel, John Anglim, Barry Barak, Angie Salazar, Jen Taylor, Bruce Bonar, Craig Roberts, Ryan Stringfellow, Angie Salazar, Mara Ferris, Marc Foster. Not present: Gretchen Reist-Henderson
1. Minutes of the December 13, 2007 meeting were approved.
2. Staff reports:
a. New underwriting director, Mara Ferris, was formally introduced to the board.
b. Three grants came in last month totaling $21K (Home Loan Betterment Fd $1K;
Williams Production $5K; Bacon Fdn. $15K). Two grants are currently pending
(Goodwin Fdn. and Gay and Lesbian Fund). Several more applications are
currently being prepared for submission.
c. John Anglim has been nominated for the White Ribbon Leadership Award
(sponsored by the Human Services Council).
d. Wicked Winters Eve fundraiser brought in $2,526; Vinyl sale is scheduled for
Feb. 23; Spring fund drive is scheduled for 3/27 through 4/5; Jen reported that
the MOG Sale is back and will be held 4/11-13.
e. The Radio Room is booked through August;
f. The station is attempting to fill the music director position (15 hours/wk);
g. J. Wendland is working on the audit (required for further CPB funding);
h. Repair of the roof is still an ongoing issue. Ryan is talking with Kruger Roofing
and also with High Noon Solar to address roof repairs and the potential addition
of solar panels.
3. Ryan distributed copies of a cash flow statement, comparing budget to actual, which will be the “standard” financial reporting tool at the monthly board meetings.
4. Ryan distributed a synopsis of goals and priorities, as discussed at the January strategic plan meeting. The objectives outlined at that meeting provide a measurable way for the board to evaluate their own progress as well as that of the Executive Director.
5. Ends Policy #4 was revised to read as follows: GVPRC is committed to outreach
initiatives, termed “Healthy Community”, which consists of visiting and connecting
with local organizations, both non-profit and for-profit, in order to promote use of
its facilities, services and resources for the betterment of the community.
6. Transposition of the words “artists” and “musicians” were the only revisions made to Ends Policy #1, to read as follows: Grand Valley Public Radio Company, Inc. will
offer high quality programming in ways not otherwise widely available in the Grand
Valley community, such as music programming, human interest/community events
and local information & content, emphasizing a commitment to local musicians, artists and viewpoints.
7. The phrase “and support” was inserted to Ends Policy #2, and now reads as follows:
Grand Valley Public Radio Company will increase the number of individuals who
have the ability to listen, hear, interact with and support the station by any number
8. The addition of a “title” to each ends policy was approved, as follows:
a. Global Ends Policy #1 – CONTENT
b. Global Ends Policy #2 – MEMBERS
c. Global Ends Policy #3 – FACILITIES
d. Global Ends Policy #4 – COMMUNITY OUTREACH
e. Global Ends Policy #5 – VOLUNTEERS
9. The mission statement was revised to read as follows: KAFM is a responsive and
responsible volunteer-oriented organization, dedicated to diversity and excellence in
its programming and providing an outlet for the creative skills and energies of the
community. KAFM’s purpose is to share music, culture, and information in order
to facilitate communication, promote inclusiveness, and foster healthy communities.
10. The phrase “gender expression” was added to the Equal Opportunity Policy.
11. Board vacancies were discussed. Gretchen has expressed an interest in remaining on the Board for another term. Her position is member elected. Barry and Dianne both declined to continue for another term. Both of those positions are Board elected. Marc Foster is a potential candidate for one of those positions. March 3 is the deadline for applications.