August 14, 2008
Present: John Anglim, Bruce Bonar, Gretchen Reist-Henderson, Andrea Metz, Craig Roberts, Angie Salazar, Mara Ferris, Ryan Stringfellow. Not present: Claudia Ragar, Sarah Lee Marshall, Jen Taylor.
0. Meeting called to order by Craig at 5:41.
1. Mission Statement was read by Angie.
2. After a discussion on what should and should not be in minutes, the June 12, 2008 minutes were amended, and approved as amended.
3. Staff Reports:
- The Silent Art Auction is going well.
- Second annual KAFM Radio Days at Kannah Creek this Saturday.
- Recent Radio Room events: Great turnout for Amy Speace concert, standing room only for the Craig Childs presentation.
- Fall Fund Drive starts September 25.
- 4 grants are out waiting for confirmation, $13,000 coming in this month.
- Building landscaping is underway, and painting is coming soon.
- The next Community Advisory Board meeting is August 28.
- YTD (July) underwriting is above budget.
4. Financial Reports were reviewed, no concerns noted.
5. Jeff Wendland’s Audit Report and letter were reviewed. His recommendations were discussed. Among the topics:
- In situations where the same person both handles cash by counting it or making deposits, and also records the transaction into the bookkeeping system, it was suggested that other staff should also count the cash to serve as error checking.
- BOD Minutes should be signed by the Secretary and kept bound together. It was suggested the minutes be signed by the person that wrote them, if it was not the Secretary, and a hard copy of the minutes could be signed at the meeting when they are approved and given to Ryan to file.
- Adopting a policy directing which long-term assets should be capitalized or expensed was discussed. Concern was expressed as to whether this was permitted under Policy Governance. It was suggested this could be done as a policy under Executive Limitations, without interfering with the actions of the ED.
- “Conflicts of interest” were discussed. It was said the Bylaws prohibit KAFM employees from being on the Board, but does not describe other relationships. It was suggested that the Executive Director report to the Board whenever the station enters into a relationship with a Board member (of family of Board members). The Board can then decide if a conflict of interest exists on a case-by-case basis.
6. Healthy Community:
a. John and Andrea report the HSC is a nice group and they love KAFM. Ways were discussed to encourage them to take advantage of opportunities KAFM presents to get their messages out.
b. The next HSC meeting is Tuesday, 8/19, 9:30AM at Partners. Claudia is scheduled to attend.
c. Discussion of the Commission on Arts and Culture will be held at a later date.
d. The Riverfront Commission was briefly discussed.
7. Policy Governance:
a. The Executive Monitoring Committee report was reviewed. No concerns were expressed.
b. The Appreciation Sub-committee reported on their meeting. The Board signed “thank you” cards for underwriters, an example of the new appreciation efforts.
c. Discussion of adding “Appreciation Items” as a standing agenda item was postponed for a future meeting.
8. No “Other Business” topics were discussed.
9. Meeting adjourned at 7:26PM.