September 9, 2009
Present: John Anglim, Bruce Bonar, Gretchen Reist-Henderson, Sarah Lee Marshall, Claudia Ragar, Craig Roberts, Jen Taylor, Ryan Stringfellow Not present: Andrea Metz, Angie Salazar Minutes by: Bruce Bonar
1. The meeting was called to order at 5:32PM.
2. Sarah read Global Ends Policy #5.
3. Minutes of the August 13, 2009, meeting were approved.
4. Thank you notecards were signed. A new Underwriters phone call list was circulated.
5. a. The previous Healthy Community radio show was reviewed. (It went well). The next show features the V.A. Angie will take the lead on this show.
Participants are pleased with the format. The possibility of having other volunteers involved was discussed. Other Board members are encouraged to sit in.
b. The Human Services Council will meet at KAFM on 9/15. They will be here at 7:45 pm. Plan on a 5- to 10-minute presentation. Ryan will pitch the station and Jen will pitch the Board’s perspective on Healthy Community. A door prize of one month of underwriting (a $100 value) was discussed.
c. For the Fund Drive, a one-hour Healthy Community show was discussed, including a “Healthy Community Challenge” where the non-profit organization pledging (pledges in name of) the most gets three months of “accelerated” underwriting. The show has a $500 goal. The challenge will be open to any non-profit group.
6. a. Work on Ellen’s Policy Governance AV presentation is well underway. It should be done in early October.
b. The idea of a nominating committee for prospective Board members was discussed. It was concluded that there should not be a standing committee. It will be a standing agenda item to recruit potential Board members. A process flow diagram will be created to give to potential recruits, outlining the following:
1. potential candidates receive a conversation on policy governance, ends policies and the process flow diagram.
2. the potential candidates are encouraged to attend a regular Board meeting to observe.
3. candidates that are still interested will receive the Policy Governance PowerPoint presentation and a copy of the Annual Report to review.
c. Craig provided a review of the Master Plan for the KAFM campus, followed by discussion.
d. There was a discussion of the name “KAFM Media” vs. “KAFM Radio”.
e. Review of the Ends Policies language was tabled until the next meeting.
f. Review of the Mission Statement was also tabled until the next meeting.
7. In “Other Business”, the Board offered to do a presentation to the staff on Policy Governance and Healthy Community.
8. The meeting was adjourned at 7:30PM.