November 8, 2007
Present: Sarah Lee, Dianne Dinnel, John Anglim, Barry Barak, Gretchen Reist-Henderson, Angie Salazar, Jen Taylor, Bruce Bonar, Craig Roberts, Ryan Stringfellow, Peter Trosclair, John Rizzo, Peyton Montgomery.
1. Minutes of the September 20 and October 22 meetings were approved.
2. Staff reports:
a. Overall economic health of KAFM is to be included as part of staff reports in the future;
b. Raffle and fall fund drive results were reported;
c. Search is ongoing to fill the Underwriting Director position. The goal is to have someone selected to fill the position by 11/19;
d. Both campus properties are currently rented;
e. The roof at 1310 Ute Avenue has been repaired;
f. The Radio Room has 3 shows remaining in 2007 and is busy with rentals;
g. The 2008 budget process is underway;
h. Board members will receive a “call list” to thank underwriters;
i. Ryan is the defacto underwriting director. He reports that we are behind where we wish to be for the year in grants, underwriting and gifts;
j. Colorado Public Broadcasting funding requirements include an audit;
k. Peter is transferring all daily duties to the staff.
3. Healthy Community: Dianne and Gretchen reported on their meeting with Mesa State Nursing Program. Dianne will provide a written summary of their visit. It was approved by majority vote that the KAFM Board will join the Health Services Council. The annual cost is $35 and board members will rotate attending the meetings. It was suggested that a Healthy Community web page be developed under the Board of Directors section.
4. Discussion re: core values and policy governance was postponed to a future meeting.
5. Strategic Planning Initiative: Craig Roberts reported on behalf of the committee that a financial and business plan, with a long-range view, should be developed. It was suggested that this be done at the Board retreat. The business plan should be staff driven. The strategic plan should be a guide to develop ends policies. The board retreat and what will be covered will be discussed at our December 13 meeting. The board retreat will be held on Saturday, January 12. Jen offered the use of her cabin on Grand Mesa.
6. The Executive Director position was discussed. Barry suggested appointing an interim Executive Director to be followed by a final decision in 3 months. It was suggested by John Anglim that the time period be extended to 6 months and that no formal ongoing search be conducted during the 6 month period. There are no CPB requirements regarding the hiring, etc. of an ED. Peter suggested that Ryan should be named the interim ED, as he is currently intimately involved in the restructuring process. Peter will be leaving KAFM at the end of January.
7. The Board went into Executive Session to discuss the ED position, salary, terms, etc.
8. Ryan Stringfellow was offered the interim ED position, effective 12/1/07 for 6 months, after which a final decision will be made regarding the ED position. Ryan accepted the position at the salary and conditions offered.
9. Peter Trosclair will relinquish the title of ED as of 12/1/2007 and assume the title of “Minister without Portfolio”.
10. The board will send a letter to Judy Kowalski expressing our sorrow at the death of her husband, Richard. The hat/softball glove was passed for a donation to Hospice in Richard’s memory.
11. The next meeting will be held on December 13.