Present: John Anglim, Barry Barak, Bruce Bonar, Dianne Dinnel, Sarah Lee Marshall, Gretchen Reist-Henderson, Craig Roberts, Jen Taylor, Julia Hall, Peter Trosclair. Not present: Angie Salazar.
WelcomeMinutes by: Bruce Bonar, Secretary
- Peter and Julia presented staff reports. Topics included the concept for the campus and new Radio Room; Notes is now available on podcast; the first video clips are now available on YouTube; updates on the Spring Fund Drive, grants and CPB funding.
- The meeting was called to order at 6:24 (without gavel).
- Minutes of the February 15 meeting were approved. They have been posted on the bulletin board.
- Emily Parker’s service will be recognized by the Board.
- Policy Governance handouts from Ellen Wuertz were reviewed. There were no follow-up questions.
- There was a dialog regarding Barry’s “three questions”:
- What is Healthy Community?
- What will create a healthy Grand Junction?
- What do you perceive the role of community radio to be in reaching this goal?
(Alternative language: What are the barriers preventing the achievement of a Healthy Community?)
- Jen and Barry reported on their meeting (along with Craig) with other Healthy Community contacts.
- Western Slope Center for Children and Treehouse were suggested as possible next contacts for Healthy Community.
- A dialog ensued regarding “what do we do with the information”, including ideas for reaching out, KAFM providing a forum or access, use of KAFM production capabilities to help organizations produce content, cooperative content production and sharing with other community radio stations (like KVNF).
- At the February 15 BOD meeting, Craig Roberts was elected to fill the vacant Board seat. Welcome aboard! (The sound of the Bo’s’n pipe is imagined by this reporter, unwilling to totally forgo nautical metaphors.)
- The April 12, 2007 meeting will be the annual membership meeting. The agenda will follow the Bylaws format.
- There was a dialog regarding ways to increase member participation and attendance at the annual meeting. The idea of a “Beer with the Board” meeting was approved, with a possible date in June.
- Candidates for the Board election are: John Anglim, Tina Harbin, Sarah Marshall, Angie Salazar.
- Jen, Sarah, Angie and Craig were named to an Ad-hoc Committee to review the Bylaws language regarding Single/ Family Vote Allocation (Section 7.1). They will report back in May.
- The question was raised as to possible of conflicts of interest that may exist between current Board Members and station operations. A discussion ensued which resulted in the following resolution being proposed and passed:
“We have examined the financial relationships, both past and present, of current Board Directors to Grand Valley Public Radio Co. and have determined that those relationships represent no conflict of interest in any manner.”
- John Anglim was elected the Board-Appointed Director for the coming term. Congratulations John!
- Elections for the officers of the Board will be held in May.
- This meeting adjourned at 8:30, again without gavel. (Suggesting a new Zen koan: What is the sound of one gavel missing?)