Present: Sarah Lee, Dianne Dinnell, Peter Trosclair, Julia Hall, John Anglim, Barry Barak, Gretchen Reist-Henderson, Angie Salazar, Jen Taylor. Not present: Bruce Bonar. Guest attendees: Craig Roberts, Nate Salazar.
- Staff report was presented by Julia and Peter.
- Meeting was called to order (with a heavy hand of the official gavel). The minutes of the November 9 meeting were approved. Thanks to John Anglim for picking up the tab at the unofficial December board gathering at the Ale House.
- The Policy Governance training held in January was briefly discussed, noting that it was a good experience and a great opportunity to refocus on the board’s role. Barry will e-mail additional documents from Ellen Wuertz prior to the March meeting.
- John reported on his meeting with Marillac Clinic (Russ Schuckman and Claudia Ragar, Development Department), to explore the “healthy community” project. They were very enthusiastic, suggesting that KAFM could be used to make people aware of the resources that are already available in the community. John will provide a written summary of his meeting to board members.
- Each board member will attempt to make contact with others in the community, starting with people they know, with the hope that they will subsequently help to expand the network of contacts KAFM can make. Jen will meet with Mesa Land Trust and report at the next meeting on the results of that interaction. Other possible contacts were discussed by various board members.
- A Global Ends Policy aimed at formalizing our commitment to volunteer and public access was proposed by the staff and presented to the board for discussion and approval. Following discussion the policy was formally adopted as an ends policy, as follows: Grand Valley Public Radio will promote public access to and involvement in the production and dissemination of content in all areas of its operations.
- Current and upcoming vacancies for board seats were discussed. Angie and Sarah both declared their intention to run for vacant seats and will do so in writing by February 26, the cut-off date. John has already done so. Tina Harbin has also submitted an application for one of the board seats. The current available seat, vacant due to the resignation of Bill Whaley, currently has two potential candidates – Craig Roberts and David Grossman. A motion was made, seconded and approved to vote to fill the vacant seat at the current board meeting. A secret ballot was held voting on the two candidates. Barry will contact Bruce and Angie prior to tallying and reporting (via e-mail) the results of the vote. Proxies will be available on February 26 for the April election.
- The board elected position will be voted on at the March meeting.
- Meeting adjourned (with a more peaceful, Zen-like use of the official gavel). Next meeting will be Thursday, March 8.